THING 4. Set up a blog using blogger.Why? To reflect on what you are learning and take part in conversations online.
Your own blog is where you will record your thoughts, discoveries and exercises in the Murdoch University Library 23 Things. We are using blogger, which is owned by google.
HOW TO DO IT:
Screencast is here, Setting up a blog using bloggerStep by step instructions are below.
SOME THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
1. Your blog should be work friendly. For the next 11 weeks there will be work related content on it and your co-workers may read it. After this, it doesn't have to be about work, but readers should be comfortable reading it at work.
2. Your blog posts should be at least 100-150 words each week - we'd like to have a conversation and the more you post, the better the conversation will be.
3. How you identify yourself on your blog is your choice. You can blog under a screen name, anonymously, or as yourself.
Let her know if you want your blog listed next to your name on the passworded wiki.
IF YOU WANT MORE:
Create your blog using wordpress.com or edublogs.org instead. It is as simple to create as a blogger blog, but there is much, much more you can do with it if you tweak a bit.
STEP BY STEP
1. Log into gmail. Got to More and then select Blogger from the dropdown list.
2. You'll be taken to this screen, click on "Create blog now"
3. Select a display name.
The name is the title that displays at the top. For example, Bobbi's Thoughts or Bobbi's Babbling Your address is the URL people will type into go to go your blog. They do not have to match. You can change the title at any time, but not the URL.
For example your address could be bobbi123.blogspot.com
It may be hard to find an address that's available, so you may have to try several and use the "check availability" button
Be sure to record your blog address for yourself.
5. Select a template. You can tweak this and change the colours and what is on the sidebar later on.
6. You're ready to start blogging! Create your first post, even if it's just a test post.
7. To edit your blog, log into gmail and select MORE > Blogger.
Click on New Post to create a new post. Or on Posts to edit some posts. Or Settings. Or Template.