What is the Murdoch University Library 23 Things programme & why are we doing it?
Murdoch University Library 23 Things is a hands-on, immersive learning programme that provides an opportunity to explore Web 2.0 tools and the impact these tools are having on libraries & library service. All participants are encouraged to use the programme as an opportunity to check out 2.0 technologies and think about ways in which our libraries can use these tools to deliver innovative library services.
Murdoch University Library 23 Things is all about exploration, discovery, and play!
How does it work?
The programme runs for 13 weeks, from Monday September 10, 2007 until Wednesday December 5 2007. Participants will use freely available online tools (such as Blogger, PBwiki, and del.icio.us) to complete a number of activities. Each week focuses on a specific type of tool (e.g. blogs, RSS, wikis) and each activity will give participants a chance to explore the tool and consider the ways in which it can be used in a library environment.
Participants are required to make at least one post of around 100 - 150 words per week to their blogs (which they will set up in week 2). These posts will discuss their thoughts about and reactions to the tools and technologies they explore. They should indicate their progress (eg. "Thing 14, 15, 16 done") somewhere in their blog entries.
Participants will also record their progress on the Murdch University Library 23 Things wiki. Learning how to do this is part of week 2's activities.
All staff members at Murdoch University Libraries are eligible to participate in Murdoch University 23 Things
If you are outside the Library, you can do the exercises at the same time and track your own progress, but you will be ineligible for the iPod.
- To participate in Murdoch University Library 23 Things, simply email Kathryn. The sign-up period begins on Friday August 31 and the programme officially starts on Monday, September 10.
- You don’t have to sign up before September 10 to take part - you can join us anytime during the 13 weeks of the programme. To “officially” complete the programme, you must sign up and complete all the programme activities by midnight, Wednesday December 5.
What if I did MULTA last year or covered some of the activities in an Emerging Technolgy Session this year? Can I join in?
- You are encouraged to register for the 23 Things and join in. You do not have to re-do the tasks you have already done, just mark them as done - although you are welcome to revisit them. The weekly blog posting gives you a chance to reflect on how we may use the tools and to discuss this with other participants.
- You are also likely to be a very valuable Early Adopter, who can act as a resource for other staff members.
- Each week, two or three posts will be added to the Murdoch University 23 Things blog with details about the discovery exercises for that week. The reason for this staggered approach is to allow participants to focus each week on a different area without feeling overwhelmed.
- You will also have the information emailed to you each Monday.
- Yes, of course. You are encouraged to be self directed, especially by working ahead on your own. However, if you do work ahead on some items, be sure to check back on the exercise details for each item once they are posted so you can be sure to recieve full credit for its completion.
- First try to work your way through it or ask a nearby colleague. A group of staff have agreed to act as Mentors. They are "go to" people if you get stuck. They are:
- Kathryn G.
- Deb B.
- Pim M.
- Ian L.
- Margaret B.
- Amanda H.
- Jean M.
- Lisa N.
- Tracie P.
- Jean C.
- Anne G.
- Gwyn C.
- Gavin B (Peel)
- Rosita C
- Irene P
- You can attend a weekly workshop providing a "walk through" of the week's tasks. As this programme is about Learning and not Training, you are expected to have read the tasks for the week and had a go at them before you turn up.
- Workshops will be held in Room 1.015 unless specified:
- Fridays 2-3 (Kathryn): 14, 21, 28 Sept; 19, 26 Oct; 2, 16, 23, 30 Nov.
- Tuesdays 10 -11 (Amanda) : 18 (Room 1.009), 25 Sept, 16 (Room 1.009), 23, 30 Oct; 13(Room 1.009), 20, 27 Nov 4 Dec.
- Tuesdays 2-3 (Kathryn): 18 (Room 1.009), 25 Sept; 16, 23, 30 Oct; 13(Room 1.009), 20, 27 Nov 4 Dec.
The launch session will be repeated 3 times. This explains the programme and you can ask questions.
Tuesday 11th September 10 -11 Minter Ellison Room 4.007
Tuesday 11th September 2 - 3 1.015
Friday 15 September 2-3 1.015
What if I want to blog anonymously?
You are welcome to do this, however your blog name will still be recorded on the Participants' Blogs list in this blog. Other libraries report that playing "guess whose blog" was one of the fun bits of the programme.
What about Privacy?
There is none! Everyone can read your blog. This is the nature of blogs in general.
Which web browser should I use?
Please use Firefox. If something seems to not work and you are using Explorer, please try it in Firefox.
Thank you to…
Murdoch University Library 23 Things was adapted by Kathryn Greenhill from the http://macetg.wordpress.com/about-learning-20-mac/ project of the Emerging Technologies Group at McMaster University Library.
Learning 2.0 @ Mac acknowledged the Learning 2.0 program at the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenberg County and Helene Blowers for the inspiration and ideas. The Learning 2.0 programme has been adopted by over 100 libraries worldwide.